The Gestetner Story
The Gestetner story began in the 1870’s when David Gestetner, with an alert, inventive mind and a pre-occupation for copying, made his way to America where he sold Japanese kites to earn a living. The peculiar qualities of the paper of which these kites were made - light, yet strong and coated with wax paper-proved to be the turning point of his career. He came to London and took out a patent for a new kind of implement for writing on a sheet of similar wax paper. The implement was a pen, which David called the “Cyclostyle Pen”. It had a small revolving wheel at its tip which, when written with, pierced the stencil (wax paper). Thus, the duplicating and copying revolution evolved.
David Gestetner’s invention was an instant success. In 1881 he founded his company. He made and marketed a box containing a metal writing surface, serving after as printing bed, a frame into which the wax stencil was clamped, a wooden inking board, and a roller. These, together with the Cyclostyle Pens, the wax stencils, and the ink, marked the beginning of the Gestetner organization.
The ensuing years saw the company achieve tremendous growth world-wide, Gestetner today has subsidiaries in thirty countries, and agents in another 102. The products include stencil duplicators, a range of plain paper copiers and copy printers, including the prestigious velo bind process.
Today, Gestetner International confidently approaches the 21st century as the world’s pre-eminent distributor of document processing technology, service and supplies. Gestetner International assures its clients that their ability to communicate will be enhanced not only with ergonomically designed, technically advanced equipment, but, more importantly, with the confidence that comes from its specialist knowledge, precise understanding of its clients needs, and total commitment to the highest quality of customer services.
In 1962, Gestetner International contracted Philippine Duplicators, Inc. (PDI) to be the sole distributor and concessionaire of Gestetner products in the Philippines. PDI belongs to the Tuason Group of Companies, a successful conglomerate whose interests include agricultural production, trading, office machine distribution, real estate investments and management services.
Atty. Jose M. Tuazon Jr. was PDI’s first President and General Manager until his tragic death in a plane crash in May, 1970. He was succeeded by Mr. Carlos S. M. Basilio. In 1976, Mr. Vicento O. Reyes took over as president and managing Director.
The company has its main office at CCC Building, Edison Avenue, Km 14, West Service RD., Brgy. Merville, Parañaque City. It has fifteen branches and service centers strategically located in the key cities of Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao.
PDI’s strength lies primarily in the quality of its people who are committed to customer service. The company’s dynamic direct sales force is complemented by comprehensively trained technical personnel whose expertise is aimed at providing customers fast and reliable service.